Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I know Valentines Day was yesterday, but there is still people still on my heart. In the tradition I study we are to journey often. Here of late when I do I gain some insights, but most time I go back to when two 18 year old spent a summer together. I can smell the honeysuckle as they come home from the movies. The hot muggy nights were magical, most things are when you are 18. But finding someone who becomes your true best friend doesn't happen often when you are just 18.

Now my best friend from high school is near her transition. Have known her for 55 years. She is far away and wouldn't know me even if I could go there. But we weathered a lot of teenage angst together. She was my maid of honor, her now husband was Jim's best man. I cry not so much for them as what the rest of us have lost. Jim a wild young man who went full out most of his life. Did a lot of things he always wanted to. I have a feeling he knew his life would not be as long as the rest of us. He was funny, exciting, exasperating, but lovable all at the same time. Could have a temper but we all knew he loved unconditionally. Arlene was so smart, musical, and a very grounded person.We had wonderful experiences together. Loved them both. Always will.

2 comments:

  1. "I do not want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well." ~ Diane Ackerman

    “Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!” ~ Anonymous

    Sounds like your friend (and most definitely Jim!) lived their lives fully, appreciating every second. That type of life is what others remember, and what keeps the memory of those we love close by...

    Happy belated Valentines Day to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you friend. I am all for the second one, sometimes I feel I hold back too much. So look out or come along for the ride. HA!

    ReplyDelete