Saturday, April 7, 2012

Isn't this just a hoot!? We were to pick up our bees this morning at 10 out at Chehaw. About 10 after we found out the the guys that went to get the bees had even left Moultrie yet. They were going to get the bees but there others ahead of them. There was over 300 bee package orders that were being prepared. So I went to the bicycle shop to wait. They called a little before 1 that they were on their way. When the little red truck with all the bees in the back pulled in there were loose bees flying over the truck. He said when he slowed down or had to stop they would raise up, when he started off again they would duck down between the boxes.
So I get my box of bees. Three pounds of bees(approx. 3500) and a queen. I had a couple of strays as well in the car with me. But their signature was so sweet. They finally congregated in the back window and we headed home. The queen is to go in the hive first. She is in a little cage like with fondant of all things plugging her escape route. She and the worker bees are supposed to eat the fondant so she can get out.  But you remove a little cork and hang her on the center frame.Then you literally "pour" the bees in. I actually did this all by myself and as far as I could tell did not squash a single bee. So everybody is in the hive. In 3 days I will check and if the queen hasn't got out of her box, I will help her.

2 comments:

  1. Hey that's a good look for you! I'm so excited you got the bees home safe and sound. Can't wait to come out and have a look soon.

    ReplyDelete